Windows are an integral part of the house as they provide protection and comfort and make your house look better than it does without them. That’s why it’s essential to make sure mistakes during window replacement are avoided at all costs. Let’s take a look at some of the mistakes to avoid when replacing your windows.
1. Don’t Let Price Affect Your Decision
One of the most common mistakes people make when getting their windows replaced is that they choose the cheapest windows available. There’s nothing wrong with trying to be cost-efficient, but that doesn’t mean you compromise on the quality of the windows just because you’re trying to save a few bucks.
Any product that is low in price is often lower in quality as well. Even though durable and energy-efficient windows are expensive, they end up saving you money in the long term by driving down energy costs and don’t require frequent repairs, unlike cheap windows.
2. Forgetting About Maintenance
A lot of homeowners make this common mistake of forgetting that even brand-new windows require maintenance. They think that since they are new, they won’t need to be looked after. This is not true. Different windows are made up of different materials, which require maintenance accordingly. When purchasing replacement windows, be prepared to commit to regular maintenance to maximize their longevity and preserve their resale value.
For example, Vinyl and Fiberglass windows require very little maintenance and can be cleaned using cloth and some window-cleaning solution. On the other hand, Wooden windows require much maintenance and need to be painted and resealed every other year; otherwise, they start to lose their efficiency.
Ignoring the Long-Term Costs
Take into account the type of material you prefer, such as vinyl, wood/clad, or fibreglass, and understand the maintenance requirements and associated costs. Additionally, consider whether you want to install new frames and casing or use your existing ones. Understanding the long-term costs will help you make an informed decision and avoid any surprises down the road.
3. Hiring Inexperienced Contractors
One of the easiest ways to mess up your window replacement is by hiring someone inexperienced to do it. The importance of hiring qualified and experienced window installers cannot be overstated. Even the best-quality windows can underperform if they are not installed properly. Improper installation can lead to air and water leaks, diminishing the energy efficiency and structural integrity of your windows.
You will find many people in the market offering window replacement services, but not all of them are qualified enough to do the job properly. Many people hire contractors who don’t possess sufficient knowledge or the skill set to do a good job.
When hiring contractors, especially for specialized tasks like window replacement, it’s crucial to ensure they’re experienced and reliable. Here are some signs to watch out for that may indicate you’re dealing with inexperienced contractors:
- Lack of References or Portfolio: Experienced contractors should have a list of previous clients or a portfolio of past projects. If they can’t provide references or show any examples of their work, it might be a red flag.
- Vague or Incomplete Contracts: Professional contractors will offer a clear, detailed contract outlining the scope of work, materials, timeline, and costs. Be wary of vague contracts or those lacking crucial details.
- Unusually Low Quotes: While everyone loves a good deal, significantly lower quotes compared to others might indicate inexperience, desperation for work, or the intention to use subpar materials.
- No License or Insurance: Legitimate contractors should have the necessary licenses and insurance to operate in your area. These protect you and your property in case of accidents or damages.
- Poor Communication: Experienced contractors know the importance of clear, timely communication. Be cautious if they’re consistently late, unresponsive, or unclear in their communication.
- Pressure Tactics: Be wary of contractors who pressure you to make quick decisions, sign contracts, or pay large upfront deposits.
- Lack of Professionalism: Professionalism in demeanour, punctuality, and how they treat your property can be indicative of their overall approach to the job.
- No Physical Address or Online Presence: A legitimate business should have a physical address and ideally some online presence, like a website or business reviews.
Many inexperienced window installers and contractors often ask for less money which is why people end up choosing them. This is something that everyone should avoid at all costs. Look for contractors that have been in the field for years and have a good reputation in the industry. They should have certain licenses and certifications that make them eligible for complex tasks like replacing windows.
Choosing Improperly Sized Windows
One of the most common mistakes homeowners make when replacing windows is choosing improperly sized ones. It’s essential to understand that ready-made replacement windows might not fit your existing frames perfectly. Window contractors sometimes overlook the importance of getting accurate measurements, leading to ill-fitting windows with gaps that compromise energy efficiency and aesthetics.
To avoid this mistake, make sure to work with a reputable window contractor who will measure your frames precisely and order custom windows to ensure a proper fit. Proper sealing and fit are crucial for optimal performance and longevity of your new windows.
Summarizing Mistakes To Avoid When Replacing Your Window
Avoiding these common mistakes when purchasing and installing new windows is crucial for a successful home improvement project. By choosing the right-sized windows, considering long-term costs, prioritizing maintenance and security, and working with experienced installers, you can ensure that your window replacement project enhances your home’s beauty, energy efficiency, and security. Remember, investing in new windows is an investment in your home’s comfort, aesthetics, and energy efficiency. By avoiding these mistakes, you can make the most of your window replacement project and enjoy the benefits for years to come.
If you or someone you know wants to get their windows replaced through a professional, then get in touch with Crystal Glass.
Call us now at 310-4527 and get a free quote on any service.